Sunday, September 18, 2011

Phonics for "OU" and its contracted form "W"

"w" is the contracted form of Haitian Creole "ou".

Part1
"w" or "ou" both translate the words 'you, your, and yours'
Examples:
papa ou - your father
papa w - your father

M renmen ou - I love you
M renmen w - I love you

Ou ap dòmi. - You're sleeping.
Wap dòmi. - You're sleeping.

Sa se pa ou la. - This is yours
Sa se pa w la. - This is yours


Part 2
Haitian Creole speakers often use "w" instead of "ou" in writing and speaking.
"w" comes after words that end with nasal and non nasal vowels only.
Examples:
manman w - your mother
kò w - your body
chapo w - your hat
M rele w - I call you
Nou kwè w. - We believe you.

Part 3
"w" does not come after words that end with a consonant.
"ou" is used instead.
Examples:
pitit ou - your child
t ou - your head
machin ou - your car
pawòl ou - your word
M konprann ou - I understand you


Part 4
Examples:
Listen to the "ou" and "w" sound after the words in the list below.
Feel free to repeat after me.

Click on the play button and listen:

1. Papa w - your father

2. Kò w - your body

3. vwazen w - your neighbor

4. kabann ou - your bed

5. liv ou - your book

6. M ekri w - I write to you

7. M renmen w. - I like you.

8. M konprann ou. - I understand you

9. Sa se manman w. - This is your mom.

10. Lave figi w. - Wash your face

See other lessons with "OU" and "W"

No comments: