Click the play button to listen
mwen means I
m also means I
ou means you
w also means you
mwen wè ou - I see you
m wè w - I see you
"m" is the abbreviated form of "mwen"
"w" is the abbreviated form of "ou"
We, creole speakers, use it a lot.
1. mwen rele ou - I call you
2. m rele w - I call you
3. m bezwen w - I need you
4. m pa bezwen w - I don't need you ("pa" indicates a negative form)
5. ou bezwen m - you need me
6. ou pa bezwen m - you don't need me
7. m ba ou de ti wòch - I give you two little rocks
8. m kwè w - (Non contracted form - mwen kwè ou) - I believe you
9. M pa kwè w - I don't believe you
10. m tande w - I hear you
11. m pa tande w - I don't hear you
12. M konprann ou - I understand you
13. m pa konprann ou - I don't understand you
Mèsi, se tout - thank you, that's all
Track: Kay Manman by Jocelyne Béroard
Let's Practice - Please translate the following sentences.
1. (To call - rele) -- You call me.
2. (To choose - chwazi) -- I choose you.
3. (To help - ede) -- You help me.
4. (To thank - remèsye) -- I thank you.
5. (To wish - swete) -- I wish you
6. (To honor - onore) --I honor you
7. (To worship - adore) -- I adore you
8. (To show -montre) --You don't show me
9. (To look at - gade) -- I look at you
10. (To look at - gade) -- I don't look at you
Find the answer key at the bottom of this page
1.ou rele m or ou rele mwen 2.m chwazi w or mwen chwazi ou 3.ou ede m 4.m remèsye w 5.m swete w 6.m onore w 7.m adore w 8.ou pa montre m 9.m gade w 10. m pa gade w